Monday, September 26, 2011

Teaching. Here we go.

For my next trick I’ll be filling you in on the teaching I’ve come to China to do.

I’ve been teaching for two weeks at the university, and so far it has been quite enjoyable. I’ll start with a few details of the classes, and then I’ll get into some anecdotes that should give you some idea of my life as a teacher here in Chongqing.

I have three classes each on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and two on Wednesdays and Fridays. The classes are an hour and a half each, with ten minute breaks in the middle. Most of my classes are with English majors, though three classes per week are with non-English majors. That being said, their choice of major is a poor indicator of the student’s ability with English; I have some English majors who really struggle with English (mainly their comprehension and spoken skills) and non-English majors who are quite fluent.  The classes range from thirty to almost eighty students. Several of my classes are focused on improving the student’s listening comprehension and their spoken English, but I think my most entreating classes will be my ones with third and fourth year English majors. I am teaching a Greco-Roman mythology course, two American culture courses, and one course on British culture. Perhaps choosing an Irish and American guy named Seamus to teach British culture was a bit of an oversight by the Chinese administrators, but I’m sure they won’t mind if I editorialize a touch, right? Regardless, these classes will be a lot of fun to teach, and I really have a ton of leeway with what and how I want to teach.

As I said, I’ve only been working with these classes for a week or two, but there have already been valuable lessons on both sides of the classroom. I haven’t taught in front of a classroom setting since I did my teaching practicum with Hamline two or three years ago. Fortunately I’ve hit the ground running. Though I have a pretty extroverted personality, I never was strong at speaking in front of groups. Something must have changed over the years, because I now dominate classrooms. Teddy Roosevelt’s adage of “speak softly and carry a big stick” has no place in my classroom, though I probably could get away with threats of a whack from a stick here. This is not necessary; I have their attention and once you call out a few of them in the classroom they hesitate before openly checking out.

Shouting and threats of embarrassment aside, the students are really having a great time. For my first lesson in most of my classes (not mythology, we jumped into the deep end there) I had the students get into small groups and draft five questions a piece. The questions were about anything they wanted to know about me or where I’m from. The catch, that always sent a murmur through the classroom, was that anything they asked me I would answer, but I would ask the same or a similar question in return. At first the students were a bit reticent about speaking in class, but after a few questions were coaxed out of my “volunteers” (students I picked at random) the sluice gates were open. Though there were plenty of generic questions (age, where from, how do you like China, etc.) some students brought well thought out, controversial, or hilarious questions.

Some highlights:

Why aren’t your muscles as big as other Americans’? Rebuttal: How do you feel about failing your English course?

If you were a pretty girl, what are the five things you would do? This was from the class leader in one of my oral English courses.

I also was asked in a few different classes about gay marriage, my opinion of Obama, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, my religious beliefs, and other questions of this ilk. Questions like these I either had to respond to quite deftly or just avoid all together. Regardless, it was interesting to see that these were questions the students had genuine curiosities about.

But perhaps the most repeated question was some form of the questions “what do you think of Chongqing girls”? This question was asked in every class, and almost invariably asked by a female student. The boldest of these girls garnered a round of applause after asking me three questions: What do you think of Chinese girls? Do you have a wife? What is your type? After I hurriedly knocked out some rubbish response, I asked her slightly altered versions of the same three questions. Her responses: They are very beautiful. I have no husband. You are my type. Queue the applause. I’ll have to be on my toes around these students.

As I said earlier, I too have been learning in the classroom. As you can see from some of the sample questions, (e.g. the muscles and the blatant hitting on of one’s teacher) criticisms and compliments are doled out differently than back home. In the States these devices are often meant to injure or bolster one’s confidence, and thereby provide the speaker with some residual benefit. Here in China the purpose is seemingly to only express the speaker’s opinion, regardless of harm or good done by the comment. Though there is some merit in the directness of this system, it certainly will take some getting used to.

I’ve talked enough. More teaching stories to come later. Also, a pretty cool photo posting coming later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment