Monday, April 16, 2012

Reversal

I have about six weeks remaining on my time in China. In some contexts six weeks can seem like a long time; in my current situation I have no illusions about just how quickly it will go. I am having to live part of my life with one foot here, and one foot back home. Between working on housing, arranging my return journey, and furiously (in more than one sense) searching for a job, I am feeling the end to my time in China rapidly approaching. I am also beginning to visualize what my return to Minnesota will be like.

In retrospect, when I came to China, I had no idea what I was really getting myself into. I had read all I could about the city, perused plenty of ‘expat in China’ blogs, tore through Peter Hessler’s oeuvre, but that still did little to truly prepare me for the coming experience. In contrast, I have as intimate of knowledge of what life is like back in Minneapolis as one can have; however, I have never experienced the less oft-discussed cousin of culture-shock: reverse culture-shock.

To be honest, I don’t expect to be entirely overwhelmed by the return home, but I am quite curious to see what aspects of my return will be challenging. I already know what to look forward to: seeing my Grandpa, drinking a Big Ginger whilst sitting in the sun at a Twins game (I know a guy who pays by the plug; contrary to no one’s belief, teaching in China isn’t the most lucrative of careers), a Juicy Lucy, deep dish pizza, driving a car (I haven’t been behind the wheel since I left last August, very strange), and breathing some goddamn fresh air. Oh, fam and friends, too; I haven’t completely forgotten about you. But like I said, what will be challenging or uncomfortable is a bit of a mystery. And while I still enjoy the manic nature of my life here, I’m getting a bit excited to delve into that mystery.

2 comments:

  1. save me a seat next to you at that twins game and the big ginger is on me :) have a GREAT last few weeks, homie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever. I know it's me & Michael you are most excited about. And us (FINGERS CROSSED) moving to NE sometime in the not-too-distant future.

    ReplyDelete